Monday, May 5, 2008

Multi Media Day: Harrison Bergeron by Kurt Vonnegut

All men are not created equal. It is the purpose of the Government to make them so.

Several months ago I heard about this movie on some forum, and I was able to download it, sitting on it until I had a chance to watch it. The society portrayed here is similar to the one in Sirens of Titan in that all physical and mental inequalities are leveled through the use of handicapping (athletes are weighted down, intelligent people crippled with mind numbing headbands). Harrison is a young man too smart for his band who is taken into the secret government to help run things.

The movie, while neither political Left or Right is a great Dystopian satire about good intentions gone bad and the moral ambiguity of doing the right thing. This movie reminds me blend of both Network and Idiocracy. I really enjoyed it, and think that if you like reading NTM and agree with some of the things I write, then you should probably watch this movie.

Watch the entire movie starring Sean Astin:


You can read the short story here:"Harrison Bergeron" by Kurt Vonnegut

No comments: